Wednesday, May 28, 2008

When the Student is Ready

...the Teacher will appear. How often have I heard and seen that old proverb? And yet in my experience truer words were never spoken. Here's the more interesting question. How does one know when it is time to put in an appearance as a teacher? Or is this likewise just part of the on-going, disciplined learning process, in that I always tend to learn far more from those I teach than I feel I impart to them myself.

I'm still pretty much on the steep slope of the learning curve when it comes to being a cancer patient/survivor, and so far I've enjoyed the benefit of a lot of different teachers. But there's a price to be paid for every lesson learned as well, often accompanied by physical pain. Like a lot of "healthy" Americans, I had been in the habit of "multi-tasking" -- which is basically a tired euphemism for trying to do more than one thing at once in the attempt to crowd too much activity into too little time. And what I am discovering is that this is rarely a good idea -- especially when it comes to living with a serious illness -- even though it may seem like you would want to try to crowd as much as you can into whatever time you have left. But even the natural, subconscious reaction of getting up a running start before hitting a bump in the road typically hurts a lot more than it is worth. Much better simply to slow down, take a good look at the situation, and then cross over the obstacle as gently and smoothly as possible...at least if you're the one in the wheelchair!

So now I'm trying to learn how to take that lesson to heart...and how to teach it to those around me. I need to figure out how to live a more "spiritual" lifestyle focused on feeling "centered" rather than accomplishing a lot of "tasks" -- a lifestyle that is at once less hectic and yet ultimately more productive, and which includes plenty of time for activities like reading, writing, meditation and contemplative reflection, as well as opportunities for exercise, physical therapy, and the like. A long nap in the middle of the afternoon? Why not? Especially since not taking the nap means paying the price of that overindulgence later.

In any event, Worship Committee meeting tonight; thank God they have all agreed to come here. I really am proud of my people. I'm trying to keep up. Or at least to keep my eyes open until 9 pm.....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So take time Tim: First Rx, watch DVD The Golden Compass at least 6 times--then report lessons learned.

Cheerfully, Roger (moving slower every day) Kuhrt

Anonymous said...

Tim

We read almost everyday to keep up with your progress. I'm glad that things seem to be going pretty well.

I'm not really sure that I know how to write a response appropriate to your whole audience. But I really liked today's post. I think that there is far too much busy, multi-tasking in most people's lives, esp. my own. I always feel good when I slow down and focus on one thing at a time.

I am doing a oral history project for my Teaching Social Studies class. Its about the civil rights movement and its aftermath. Can I call you to interview you? I'll try this weekend and you are free to say, "no." I bet you have some interesting tales.

I'm glad we came to visit and we will try again this summer -- probably with the kids.

Love

Lisa (& Simon & Myfy & Alec & Theo)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tim -- loved your thoughts today -- I just talked with Chris this morning and we talked about slowing down and truly enjoying life, not rushing to finish "tasks". Chris is 50 today, can you believe that?! Thanks for the blog, it keeps me in the moment.. Mary (Gildow)Borders

Christen said...

Hi Tim,
Thank you for this post. It's timely for many of us trying to balance too much in our lives. The speed up that you mention is worrisome for us all. This week I started "In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the cult of Speed" by Carl Honore. I'm sure you would enjoy it. You've probably heard about the slow food movement? For those of us who appreciate a good meal ;) slow food is a great way to go!
My best to you, you know you are in my thoughts.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Getting away from multi-tasking is more than a spiritual exercise. Alas, there are worldly justice tasks to be taken care of in order to let it happen. And too often, tho ones taking care of those details are not the ones who get to sit down and meditate.

However, one aspect of justice is that when a multi-tasker is ready to rest, the moment arrives. I am just sorry that yours came in this form.