Saturday, May 24, 2008

Breaking News

The story I was anticipating in last week's Portland Press Herald finally appeared in this morning's paper; a very sympathetic and even flattering portrait of our congregation, I think; and it has briefly made me a small celebrity down at the breakfast table. I won't say "short-lived" celebrity, because I don't want to lift-up any of those other connotations, but let's just say that already whatever gloria might have been attatched to me from being front page news (well, the front of the RELIGION page) is already transiting.

I was especially interested in the way the reporter handled the business about the boat, which I'm discovering is a theme that seems to connect on a variety of different levels with a lot of different people. It's simply something I've had the notion to do for a long time: maybe just for a summer, maybe for a year or two, maybe for a lot longer depending on how it goes. But the fact that it makes such an excellent metaphor for so many of the other things people struggle with as they struggle against illness now gives that daydream a whole different trajectory, as well as pointing to some the skills and values people draw upon to help them survive. What does it feel like to be a small, leaking vessel on the vast, empty ocean? And will tenacity, good seamanship, and a bounty of optimistic hope be enough to bring us home again?

Steph left this AM at Zero-Dark-Hundred to attend her 10th Mount Holyoke College reunion, and especially to march in this morning's Laurel Parade. Again, I would have loved to have been in the condition to drive out there with her, attend a few of the ceremonies, and just spend a little more quality family time with much beloved daughter with whom I am well pleased. Instead, here's a photo of Margie and me from a MHC event ten years ago; can't remember whether it was this weekend or one of the parent's day functions, but for some reason I'm thinking this. Have a lot more photos of that weekend as well, but not on this computer. Where ARE those flash drives when you really need them?



In any event, took Steph out to a very nice dinner at a local restaurant named Katahdin instead; $100 check for two WITHOUT wine (I'm not allowed because of the narcotics, and she's trying to eliminate alcohol, caffeine, refined sugar and dairy from her diet), but I think we got our money's worth. Steph had salmon and I had a steak, and of course we had to share. But I did feel a little guilty eating the homemade coffee ice cream afterwards while she sipped water with a wedge of lemon.

Weather here Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be fantastic, and my brother Erik is driving up today from Connecticut to enjoy it with me, so I may have to take a little vacation from being a Cancer Patient and enjoy myself a little too. I wonder whether the Sea Dogs are in town. Today I feel good enough I might actually be able to make it out for a game.

1 comment:

Kathleen and George said...

You are an amazing man. Maybe you'd rather be blogging about living on a boat, floating free of of the constraints of a land bound life, but the humor and honesty and love with which you tell your story is both heartwarming and heartbreaking. I do live on a boat and have the life you dream of so please allow me share it with you vicariously. Welcome aboard! Kathleen Jones www.dejavuchronicles.blogspot.com