Thursday, May 15, 2008

What a Difference

...a day makes. Or maybe a couple of days. After kind of a rough first night, I'm actually settling into my new accommodations here quite comfortably -- great view of the harbor, with soundtrack accompanyment by a chorus of gulls...just like living on a boat and waking up on the ocean...or at least close enough that I can close my eyes and imagine. Helps a lot to have my own pillows from home as well, and not to have to share with a roommate and his TV. I was getting SO tired of "Deal or No Deal...."

Also had my first chemotherapy treatment yesterday, so today is pretty much all about trying to kick back and get acquainted with the side effects....and the side effects of the drugs they are giving me to counteract the side-effects. The treatment itself was no big deal: sat in a chair for about four hours and watched "Ratatouille" on a portable DVD player, then made a pharmacy run to pick up new prescriptions and also lots of tender tummy comfort food for the fridge. Which turned out to be a very wise decision, given the state of my appetite just now. Let's see, we add nausea and fatigue to my normal pain management, then what else...headaches, blurred vision, MORE drowsiness....I've pretty much been sleeping through everything for the past 12 hours, and trying not to give it a second thought. And so far at least, that strategy seems to be working pretty well.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Tim:

I'm really glad that you have started treatment. My prayers are with you.

Chemo worked miracles for my mother despite the nausea and the exhaustion. Hang in there. She has been cancer free for many years.


Isn't "Ratatouille" a charming movie?
Lisa

SimonsMumma said...

We all thought of you at church today. You are in our prayers.

What a beautiful day for a festival!!

All my best and hope to see you soon.

Rachael and Simon