Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



And I feel like I've fallen a bit behind in my posting here -- lots on my mind as I get ready, at long last, to transition back to what we are designating as 'independent living" -- which in my case will still mean confined to a wheelchair, depending on others for rides, meals, cleaning and laundry, and assistance with many of the various other routine "activities of daily living." But at least now I'll be responsible for managing my own medications, and will be free to set my own schedule to come and go as I please.

Nice church service today too. I had a very small part helping out with the child dedication portion of the service, but mostly I just sat down front and enjoyed the experience of being in church. I'm really, really, really looking forward to feeling strong enough to leading worship on a regular basis again. But even this little bit today helped me appreciate just how far away that day really is.

I've also been thinking an awful lot about Steph 'n Jen -- my daughter and her best friend, who were inseparable as teenagers (so much so that a few people assumed that they were one girl -- "Stefenjen"), and the profound grief I know they are experiencing in the aftermath of Jen's mother's suicide Thursday. Mary. "Mère" Or maybe just plain "Mom." One word really does say so much. And such a tragic loss for us all.

And of course my own mother is also very much on my mind this morning. It was a year ago today that she waited until AFTER I had preached my first sermon as the Candidate here at First Parish to inform me that her cancer had returned...the cancer that would eventually take her life in a matter of months. I've reflected a great deal about her decision to try to shield me from the "distraction" of worrying about her on a day she knew was crucially important to me. Just another typical act of selfless generosity. They happened so often when I was growing up, I never really had occasion to think that much about them at all. Now I think about it all the time

Anyway, received a very nice card last week for my Installation from my former staff at the First Religious Society in Carlisle. You may be able to make it out on the left in the photograph of my dresser: it's a Boston Terrier, dressed in a bow tie and about to eat a T-Bone steak...and the sentiment is simply "Congratulations" and "Every Dog Has his Day." Love it. It's perfect.

And now here are a few photos from the Installation service itself, compliments of my brother Erik.

Receiving the Stole

The Laying on of Hands

No comments: