Monday, May 5, 2008

The Maine Event

Yesterday's Installation service was truly amazing: my only regret is that I wish a lot more people could have been here to share it with me. Yet I'm also delighted by how many people were able to attend, and what a wonderful time we all had, both during the ceremony and at the reception afterwards. It was simply a magnificent occasion, as well as a fantastic opportunity for this congregation to celebrate itself and everything it stands for: its history, its mission, its identity and purpose and all the other important qualities and characteristics it represents in its unique position as Portland's Original Faith Community. "A Warm & Welcoming Place in the Heart of the City." I am SO eager and anxious to get back to full strength so that I can get right back in the middle of it all again. All in the fullness of time....

All in the fullness of time.

Started the day by coming in early for the Religious Education program's monthly pancake breakfast, which gave me a chance to rub elbows a little before attending the regular morning worship service, where I heard our District Executive, Mary Higgins, in the pulpit, and lit a candle during the Joys & Concerns. Afterwards I went back to the Rehab long enough to take a quick nap (and to see the Celtics pluck the Hawks), then returned to First Parish for the "Maine Event" of the day. Won't even try to describe everything that happened moment by moment, although I know maybe I should. Jazz, bagpipes, bassoon and violins...not to mention the Gay Men's Chorus and the First Parish Choir. A nice turnout of local UU clergy, along with a few good friends who came from a distance and, of course, Ted Anderson from Nantucket...who I invited specifically to preach the installation sermon. And a Trinity of local politicians, consisting of our Mayor, our State Representative, and the Speaker of the House. Installation Marshall Darrell Goodwin did a wonderful job coordinating all the details of the service, while food maven Janet Puistonen organized a reception to die for. And again, so many positive feelings and so much energy and enthusiasm. Everybody felt it. You really had to be there. Really....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Tim:

Glad it went so well. A candle was lit for you yesterday at FRS. I am confident you will be back in the pulpit soon without the wheelchair.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

It was a wonderful service. Jackie O. and I sat together for a time, smiling and occasionally misting up with pride and joy. We are all so very blessed.