Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Whew....

And I'm beginning to wonder whether maybe I pushed this transfer to independent living a little too quickly. VERY rough morning this morning, which I don't even want to try to describe...but I'm feeling a lot better now, and maybe in a little better position to evaluate whether today was just another round of first day trial and error, or if I really have overstepped myself and need to think about stepping back a little.

The thing is, I've been operating on the assumption that so long as I was actively receiving Physical Therapy, I wasn't allowed to begin my Chemotherapy...which would have been true if I had been admitted to the New England Rehabilitation Hospital two weeks ago. But I'm not so certain that the folks at Seaside Rehab feel the same way, which really changes the rules of the game a little. And it's a bit of a double-bind...because I really don't feel like I can procrastinate on the Chemo much longer, but it's also really obvious to me that I need an awful lot more Rehab -- and whether I'm going to be able to get that as an outpatient living here at 75 State or not really isn't that clear to me yet. And there are insurance issues as well, which frankly I don't understand...and the whole pain management piece is still a little dicey. That was the first tough part at 6 am this morning... But you know that's got to get better too.

Anyway, I'm going to try it another night here, see if I can be a little better organized about the whole process...then talk things over carefully with my treating physician tomorrow before chemo, and with the visiting outpatient Physical Therapist when she stops by to evaluate me on Thursday. And then we'll see. I really would like to be able to walk again at some point. Walk, climb stairs, shoot hoop, crawl around on a pitching deck while sailing to windward. That sort of thing. Not to mention getting back up to my office, and into the pulpit again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, Don't underestimate the stress of the move to exacerbate your pain and fatigue. Even good stress creates physiological responses that are difficult. If you get some rest tonight and have had some good food today, you may be happily surprised at how much better you feel.

Val B.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Pour some time on this one. The stress of the move and the anxiety of starting chemo may all have contributed to your rocky first day.

I am sending wishes for a better day for you today.

Anonymous said...

Tim, are you going to have someone with you when you are doing the chemo? I hope you have plenty of support for that. I am hopeless at dealing with insurance, even when feeling well. I was sorry to hear that pain started out the morning. Thinking of you. -- Diane