Monday, May 12, 2008

Moving Day (again)



And once again, it's Moving Day. Another ordeal of packing and unpacking, arranging transportation, figuring out my discharge orders, filling out paperwork, settling in, reconnecting to the internet, getting organized, then disorganized, than reorganized again, sorting out new schedules, new routines, and all the rest. And this STILL doesn't get me all the way home; although it does get me within a few blocks of home, and perhaps a few months closer to actually moving back into my old apartment again. And better yet, perhaps only a few weeks closer to Parker moving back in with me, once the first floor room is refurbished and available. Still a little disappointed that I won't be able to move in to that room right away. But I'm so grateful to be moving there at all, I don't really feel like I have much cause to complain.

I'm a little concerned about the potential for my new "independence" to contribute to additional social isolation as well, absent the imposed routines of meals and therapy and nursing care. And about my well-known tendency to push myself a little too quickly to try the things I know I shouldn't, rather than sticking with the routine and letting things come to me "in the fullness of time." And I'm worried about how I'm going to respond to my chemotherapy, and whether or not it is actually going to be effective in treating my cancer. Just a little worried though. Which is ironic, since it really ought to be the ONLY thing I'm worried about.

But instead I simply note that it looks like they sold my boat over the weekend. And notwithstanding the rather unlikely, narcotic-inspired fantasy that they sold it to someone who wanted to buy it as a gift for me, I hope instead that whoever ends up at the helm of this great vessel feels some of the joy I've experienced simply daydreaming about living aboard her myself...that she proves safe, and seaworthy, and not TOO great of a hole in the water into which to pour money. One of the best things about dreaming about boats is that you can always find another one to dream about relatively easily. This was a good one though. I sure wish I'd had a chance to step aboard her one time in real life, before her new skipper sails her off into the sunrise....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck , tim, as you launch another adventure.
wonderful to see you and parker in your added picture.
i look forward to visiting you as soon as you get settled.
having so many boats i have sailed, sund, gone aground in ....there is always that boat beside you and in one's salt soaked bones....
with love
jeanne

Lisa said...

Hey Tim:

You look good despite everything.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Hold onto the dream. Dreaming is about having hope for the future, whatever the dream may be. Hold onto the dream.