Wednesday, April 23, 2008

They only come out at night...


And finally I have a discharge plan. Transfer tomorrow to the New England Rehabilitation Hospital here in Portland for two weeks of Physical Therapy, and then afterward (depending on how well I do) several short-term options from there, including an assisted/independent living facility here in the West End that will also serve me three meals a day, provide weekly cleaning service, and offers transportation to my medical appointments. It's not cheap, and I'm not really sure how much of it will be covered by my health insurance, but fortunately the church has provided me with a good insurance plan, and if I need to I think I can afford to stay there through the entire chemotherapy without being TOO much out of pocket.

And the best part is, Parker is welcome too! In the meantime, my pastoral care coordinator at the church is arranging a rotation of dogsitters who can each take her into their homes for a week at a time, until I'm ready to have her live with me again. Poor critter! She's basically suffering from (and living with) the same problems I am: disrupted routine, chronic pain, unable to get to the bathroom on her own. So lets hope that we can both make a full recovery, and be back living our "normal" lives by the end of summer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!!!! I hear such good things about Maine Rehab!

Val Blais

Margaret Florence said...

Hey Timmers -- a discharge plan! I am so glad that there is finally a discharge plan for you. I hope that means no more worry about that. And Parker too!?!??!! Does that mean that the rehab facility provides dog walking services? Do you think that you'll feel up to taking her for walks in your chair? Finally, has Parker heard Amy Winehouse? "Tried to make me go to rehab and I said no..no..no." I am sure that Parker will love being in almost constant companionship with you soon.

Take care. Love you lots. See you soon.
MFW

James said...

Glad for this next step!

Christine Robinson said...

Glad to be following your journey, Tim. I hope your installation is a wonderful event!

Christine