Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bad Banana



Among the many, many, many cards and encouraging e-mails and phone calls I've received since my diagnosis (most of which I will doubtlessly never be able to reply to personally}, some of my favorite have been from the Sunday School classes at First Parish. We've taped them to the wall of my hospital room, and I look at them for inspiration every day.

But it took me awhile to figure out what one of the children meant in their message. It looks like the words "bad banana" covered by a large international VERBOTEN sign -- you know, a big red circle with a slash through it. I guessed this because there is another, smaller red circle with a slash through it pointing to the larger one just in case I didn't recognize what it was. So I understood that bad bananas are forbidden. But just what is a "bad banana?"

I love the way kids think. When I first announced my diagnosis to the congregation here, I described my primary tumor as being "about the size of a tennis ball, if you can imagine a tennis ball squeezed into the shape of a jalapeno pepper." Then it dawned on me. Here in Maine, jalapeno peppers are not exactly a standard lunchbox item. But bananas are!

So I did get the message, as well as a fun puzzle to challenge my mind for a few minutes on a slow afternoon. And even though the contrast is terrible and it could use a good photoshopping, here is a picture of my two MMC moose...if you look very carefully you just might be able to make out the bad banana right where you'd expect to see it if you had X-Ray vision. But at least THAT banana is gone now...and let's hope that the other one disappears half as easily as it did....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim -

I didn't really know you in High School, I was rather uninvolved at Newport, but always thought you seemed like a likeable person. Ann Brashear Emailed me about your blog. I heard from Sue Harms last night (whom I haven't heard from in years) she too has had some tribulation. Glad to see you are keeping a good attitude, and sounds like you have lots of support from friends etc.

Corvallis is a great little town with an awesome Unitarian Curch which I am not a member of since I am agnostic. Did recently attend a wedding their for my neighbor Pat and her partner Dorthy. Check out the church if you are ever passing through.

Holding a good thought for you down here in Corvallis Oregon.

Vivian Carlson Myers

Anonymous said...

Tim,

Clearly, you have too much time on your hands. Although, upon further reflection, having the opportunity to sit in bed and contemplate my walls sounds pretty good right now. Even with a lack of inspirational children's art work on the wall to contemplate....wait, wait...cancel that....the walls of my house are festooned with inspirational children's art work. Now I just need to find the time to sit and contemplate.

See, others envy you the time you have to relefct and gaze at your walls.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
I haven't had a chance to write a comment yet, though I read your blogs about April 2nd or so, and now today...
Jennifer brought your greetings to the UU Minister's meeting last Wednesday.
I just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers (I am one of those praying UU's), and I have been appreciating your blog account of this medical and spiritual journey...
(Rev.) Myke Johnson

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim!
God kids are great...bad banana, that it is!
I'm glad that they are helping you decorate your room and giving you something to think about in the process. It sounds as if you have a great and loving congregation.

Is there more to your affinity with the moose than living in Maine? and can you tell us about the giraffe?

Now you are in the radiation home stretch and just about ready for the next round, will be sending you extra good wishes on Wednesday...maybe we can even give you a virtual wave???

So cool about Steve's brother and am happy that your computer problems are now resolved so that we can read your wonderful posts!
Hang in there,
Lin

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,

Your blog comments just allowed me to read from one of my childhood friends that I haven't seen or talked to since high school! Hi Vivian, my childhood neighbor! Wow, your cancer blog is reuniting long lost friends! You're touching people in so many more ways than you thought.

On a separate note, I thought of you quite a bit this past weekend. I remembered when we were last at Camano and I was sad over the loss of your mom and was crying. You said "What's wrong sis?". I wanted to tell you then, that it meant so much to me that you called me "sis".

Love you lots.

Your sis, Lynne