Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Better Days

Everybody keeps telling me that I ought to be concentrating on my own health right now, but I still can't help but thinking about how my illness also effects the lives of the people in my church, who in many ways share this "afflictive dispensation of Divine Providence" with me, only by necessity second-hand, at arm's length, and through rumor and hearsay.

Even so, it has to be a little unsettling to hear that one's minister has been carried out of his apartment and spirited off to the emergency room by firefighters, and that he's been there now for nearly two weeks without being able to walk, and that nobody really knows when he might be coming back again. But in the greater scheme of things, it all sounds a lot more dramatic than it really is.

And this is one of the reasons I so enjoy it so much when people stop by to visit me on Sunday afternoons after church, even if only for a moment or two. Because not only do I miss being in church and being able to shake all of your hands there personally (like I normally do EVERY Sunday), I also think it's nice for folks to have a chance to see me with their own eyes, and to realize just how good I'm feeling and how eager I am to get back home again myself.

Obviously, parading 150 people through a hospital room on a Sunday afternoon isn't really very practical. And with any luck, by this Sunday I'll be discharged anyway (probably to some sort of rehab facility) where I can begin the more extensive physical therapy to restore my full mobility again. But I do hope that those of you who have taken the time to visit me here will share your experience with others in the congregation, and also that you will encourge folks to read this blog and to use the "comments" section to share their good wishes with me.

I'll be up and around again before you know it.


LINK: Mahayana Lady

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that you up on the boom of that beautiful sailboat?

Oh, I have a book for you! Have you read Joe Coomer's In a Spoon Full of Water? It is a wonderful, funny book about a Texan who buys on old motor launch and his adventures sailing the Maine coast. A must read.

Chris Gildow said...

Hey Tim,

Somehow reading today's blog entry reminded me of last August when I had a chance to meet you in downtown Portland for lunch, see your office, your church and your apartment. But especially I enjoyed walking between all three with you (and Parker.) Now that I think about it, we have walked together on both coasts; Juniper beach and Higgins Beach. I would very much like to do that again this summer.

With enormous spirit and good wishes.

Chris

The Eclectic Cleric said...

Sorry Ashley, that's NOT me :(

The photo is actually from an advertisement on yachtworld.com for "Mahayana Lady," a boat now for sale/sail down in Newburyport (you can see the actual ad by clicking on the link below the photo). A Spoon Full of Water sounds like something I'd be very interested in reading.

Stolling both beaches again this summer is also a goal of mine, so lets just make that happen. The spirit is willing....