Sunday, August 24, 2008

Nostalgic for the Here and Now

-
Took a lovely "roll and stroll" with my family through my old neighborhood in the West End this afternoon. And by family I mean My Former Wife and our two adult children, who have been here all this weekend visiting me from the West Coast, just because it's the end of the summer and they thought it would be fun to spend some time together. And it HAS been fun, but also kinda funny as we fall back into familiar family patterns after so many years of living and being apart. Because we are all very different now than we were ten years ago. And yet we are also still in so many ways the same. Fantastic weather too, which made the day truly lovely. Made our way along the Western Promenade, enjoying a panoramic view the Fore River, then worked our way back into neighborhood itself, just checking out the architecture, petting whatever dogs we happened to meet, and talking about nothing in particular. This cancer represents a pretty major curve ball for them as well. So they need a chance to work that through, and figure out how best to respond.

My own thoughts today were very much about how much this illness has taken from me already, although hopefully not forever. Just the experience of needing to be pushed around in a chair, rather than walking under my own power -- having to give up my apartment, and my familiar shopkeepers and service providers...it makes me a little angry I guess, but also motivates me to work a little harder in Physical Therapy. Felt that way most of Saturday too, after meeting Parker and her current dogsitter at the Brackett Street Vet to see about a sore on her hind leg that appeared to be becoming infected, and then watching the locals run full on the outdoor court at the Reiche School. Not just walking and driving, but hoop, golf, the daily company amd companionship of my dog, and God knows what else...hell, just reaching the books on the top shelf of the bookcase! But it's going to get better. I'm going to MAKE it better. And I am SO looking forward to getting back in the pulpit two weeks from today.

Meanwhile, having tired of their self-appointed role of gelato police, the kids both decided I was getting a little shaggy on top, despite the chemo-therapy related thinness in my HAIR that was finally beginning to express itself. Here's their solution to THAT problem...



Not quite as outrageous as the time they dyed the dog florescent green. And at least they let me eat a little dessert afterwards....

No comments: