Wednesday, August 27, 2008

THE ADORABLE PARKER



We've all heard how people and their pets grow to resemble one another, but this is getting ridiculous. Parker is here home with me for awhile, because her degenerative disc disease has apparently progressed to the point that she is no longer capable of bearing weight on her left hind leg, and I want to be able to get a good sense of how she is feeling so that I can make good decisions about her ongoing medical care.

My dogsitters Jeanne and Jane have both been terrific; I am so grateful to both of them (and their families) for the love they have shown to me and my "companion animal," but at this point I really do need to be there in person, just so I can know and understand what is really going on. Ironically, the fact that she is now as disabled as I am actually makes it a little easier for me to care for her...as well as motivating me to work a little harder on my own rehab, just so I can keep up with the demands of providing that care.

And it's also real obvious that just being around each other again has been good for both our morale. So what if we're both still whimpering every time we get up to pee? At least we know that we don't have to whimper alone....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim

Your wonderfully positive attitude relative to your personal challenge and your caring for Parker during her "sunset hours" certainly makes it easy for me to be proud of you as a minister, a father and as my son. I so look forward to seeing both you and Parker again, and to share September 14th with you, when you return to the pulpet.

The feelings of love we have shared this past six months has been more than special, and I look forward to sharing this special love with you for a long, long time.

You are an exceptional "gift" to all of us who share the kind and considerate caring that you provide.

Love you! Dad

PeaceBang said...

Did you get the diapers for her? How is she doing?

Big hugs to you both.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tim,
I'm happy that you have Parker with you again, sad about her worsening condition and glad that her presence is both comforting for you and provides additional impetus for increased mobility.
Your dad is right, you are an exceptional gift to us all, four footed and two footed alike.
Thinking of you and Parker on these last few days of summer,
Linda

The Eclectic Cleric said...

Yes, the Adorable Parker is settling in quite nicely to her new routine, as we gradually experiment with diapers, "Wee Wee Pads," her diet and feeding schedule, and various other methods for keeping her happy and comfortable. Her appetite is GREAT! (although I haven't been indulging her too much); mostly though, between her age (13) and her meds (25 MG Tramadol 3x daily) she spends most of the day snoozing in one of her three beds. Kinda like me again, I guess. Except that I've also got work to do....