Saturday, June 7, 2008

Six. Seven. Eighty-One....

Which just so happens to be the 27th anniversary of my ordination to the ministry at the First & Second Church in Boston, as well as (when you toss in the three years I spent at Harvard as a Divinity Student) the culmination of my third decade of service "in the pastoral office." And it's hard not to associate this same season of the year with the relatively recent deaths of two of my earliest mentors in Ministry: Rhys Williams and Peter Raible; as well as the death of my mother just this past year. 27 years ago my mom and I spent those next few days down on Martha's Vineyard with her father's cousins Al and Maggie Glotzer, before attending General Assembly together in Philadelphia and flying back home to the Pacific Northwest, where I officiated at my brother Kurt's wedding in Seattle. That marriage is still going strong, so I must have done SOMETHING right. Or maybe we all just got lucky.


Here's another interesting little tidbit inspired by that era of my life: "The Heart of a Champion" Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how I comment my years of ministry too. Happy anniversary from your classmate, Judith. I check every morning for your blog.

Anonymous said...

Tim

As I read your "The Heart of a Champion" I certainly recognize those traits and characteristics in you. You ARE that Champion and that Warrior, and as Winston Churchill said "Never give in, Never, Never, Never, Never....."

Anonymous said...

Yur ministry has certainly enriched many lives. May the universe now give rich life itself back to you.

Elz

Lisa said...

Happy anniversary, Tim. May you have another 30 years of ministry ahead of you.

FRS celebrated its 250th today. We started service with a parade around the church and into the Infinity Garden. We were led by a bagpipist (I think that's what you call someone who plays the bagpipes.). Great service with Woody preaching followed by a picnic lunch and conversation with wonderful and old friends. You were missed.

Lisa