Saturday, June 21, 2008

Moving Day (yet once again)

And I suppose just because I'm having a little trouble finding anything profound to say, doesn't mean I shouldn't blog about the mundane.

Yesterday was yet once again Moving Day: this time into what I'm thinking of as the "garden apartment" -- gave up my 4th floor view for a 1st floor balcony, which in the long run will also make it much easier for me to have Parker back with me full-time. She was up here for a few hours on Wednesday afternoon, just hanging out at the Membership Committee meeting and enjoying the last few bites of a roast beef sandwich.. and I got the funniest look from her as she was being hooked back up to her leash by her caregiver: a puzzled little look over her left shoulder as if to say "Well, why aren't YOU coming?" before she trotted out the door. Wish I could have photographed it, because the expression was unmistakable. Yet another illustration of the deep and profound symbiotic relationship between Homo sapiens and Canis familiaris. Miss having the critter here with me, but like so many other things in my life right now, I'm just not capable of doing that 24/7 -- and so I'm very lucky and fortunate to have people in my life who are will to step up and step in and take her (and all the accompanying responsibilities of caring for a 13 year old dog) into their own homes. And Parker herself really seems to be thriving: she's lost about 5 lbs I would guess (about 20% of her body weight) and is looking like a puppy again. But she also still suffers from her own hip and back problems, and (like Daddy) sure seems to appreciate plenty of opportunity to nap in the middle of the afternoon.

The other thing that has really been slowing me down this week has been a pronounced edema in my left leg, which has been accompanied by the return of often acute pain all up and down that same leg and in my lower back, which in turn (as you might imagine) has slowed me down considerably in my routine "Activities of Daily Living." Combine that with quite a few outside medical appointments (well, a CT scan plus a hearing test Wednesday -- they like to jam them in on my "off" treatment weeks)) and my regular PT and hectic social schedule...and I've been struggling a little to keep up. It's going to take me a little while longer before I really feel like I've settled in here as well. But I do think I'm going to like it. And unlike the other room, here on the First floor I do enjoy AORTA - 24/7 Always On Real Time Access to the internet. Which will make it an awful lot easier to sit up in bed and blog at 4 in the morning...which yes, people, is EXACTLY what I am doing right now.

Today is the Summer Solstice: the beginning of summer, the longest day of the year, what would have been (and I suppose still is) my 23rd Wedding Anniversary. Both brother Erik from Connecticut and brother Kurt and his wife Lynne from Seattle are here for the long weekend to hang out and enjoy it with me, as well as to help out with the transition from my old accommodations to my new ones. I'm afraid I haven't really been the best of company so far, but I'm hoping that will all change soon. It the meantime, I'm trying to keep that left leg elevated as much as I can, and looking forward to the dawn. Which (because this IS the longest day of the year) will no doubt be here a lot more quickly than we imagine.

No comments: