Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Touchstones

Camano Island reunion, c. 1998

Just found this image of another Camano Island family reunion from perhaps a decade ago. And it's fascinating for me to see the differences, and review the continuities, in the changed, familiar faces of both the present and the absent. Cast of Characters: Back Row, standing L to R: my mother Betty Jo Jensen, my sister-in-law Lynne, and my aunt Shirley Ennis. Middle Row, seated on bench L to R: my cousin Jeff Ennis, my brother Kurt, myself, my cousin Jim Ennis. Front Row, standing L to R: an unidentified friend of my daughter's visiting from Mt Holyoke College, my cousin (nephew? cousin once removed?) "Little Johnny" Ennis, my nephew Michael, my daughter Stephenie, my niece Emily, and Chrissy O'Connell (or was it O'Conner?), another friend of my daughter's from Mt Holyoke, who was living with us that summer.

What a crew we were!  All kinds of sports (volleyball, touch football) and other summer activities, lots of grilling on the Weber, campfires on the beach, boating when the tide was high....  

Summertime.  

And now I look at this photo, remembering my mother (who in many ways was the heart of this reunion, since this was her home) passed away two years ago, while all three of Erik's offspring have been born in the decade since this photo was taken.  Michael and Emily are now all-but-adults, while I am struggling hard, hard with my own mortality, just wishing I had the energy, the resources, the simple ability to step into my mother's place here, and keep the cabin occupied all year round.  Stephenie will be giving birth to my first grandchild sometime in August.  Time slowly seems to slip away, while at the same time rushing toward me with all the intensity of an on-coming train.

And it will take Time to measure the levels and limits of my new abilities, to check and monitor the course of my disease, to create a lifestyle that works for me.  Slowly, deliberately, patiently...but I don't have time to lollygag either.  "So many...  so little time...."  And yet the WORST thing I can do is to hurry or rush.  Daily Practice: exercise, meditation, reading, writing, healthy & nutritious eating.  Not exactly Brats fresh off the grill and an icecold microbrew after throwing a touchdown to your cousin when your brother bit on the pump fake.  But maybe that's for a younger generation now....





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so we savor each moment, knowing FOR REAL that it could be our last. I know you will inhabit your new life grace-fully - and (I'm betting) have a lot of fun too. Looking forward to "hearing" about it. Ann B

Anonymous said...

Tim - Thanks for bearing your heart in this post. So many changes in your life, so quickly. Let's both just enjoy TODAY to the extent that we are able. Mary B

jeanne mullen portland maine said...

hi there
so good to see all your family and you with them. seems like a wonderful place to be and awaiting a new family member....good luck, grandpa....
love jeanne