Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

`
Ordinarily our quiet little beach is host to about half-a-dozen eagles, who roost (eagles do roost, right?) up on the hill right behind us; but today they have all long since departed for less patriotic places. The bombs have been intermittently bursting in air since about 10 AM, and now that the sun has finally set (about 12 hours later) the red rockets are squealing with the consistency of clockwork. The displays seem a little less ostentatious than they have been in years past, which is fine with me. I'm not really that big of a fireworks guy anyway. And this year is especially tricky because of my poor health, my restricted mobility, and all of the travel problems thrown in on top. I miss being able to wander from campfire to campfire, and catch up with folks for whom this weekend may well be their only visit to the beach this year. Now, just physically getting MYSELF down to the water is a pretty major accomplishment, and not something that I'm especially eager to attempt in the dark.

I wish I could adequately describe what goes on here, but I can't. Thousands (and maybe even tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars worth of privately purchased and privately detonated fireworks are exploded over our little bay, in a display that has very little thematic coordination beyond start strong, finish stronger, and don't let anything go to waste in between. Free Market capitalism at its most unabashed, uninhibited, and certainly unregulated WORSTSEB. Wish I could adequately photograph it even more. In any event, it is exciting. And even worst, fatiguing....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is this "our" beach? When you're traveling, you need to be clear...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the Northwest, Tim. We were watching from La Conner, and had a 180 degree view from Eagle's Nest -- including the Swinomish Tribe's blowout show. And probably one of the displays to the south of us was exactly where you were with your family!

Hope this leg of the journey is the best possible!

Val Ellison Cochran

Anonymous said...

Oh dude, please tell me there was croquet, that big lawn had to be screaming for croquet!

I have to admit, we have traded in croquet for bocce. :-)

One of our houseguests supplied some of those very fireworks that went on forever. Still, what a beautiful day it was, don't you think?

D.