Saturday, July 11, 2009

More Self-Indulgent Fourth of July Family Photos

`
Why? Because they're there....

My aunt Mary Lou and my niece Katie demonstrate the use of a solar box cooker. Using nothing but a cardboard box, some aluminum foil, a pane of glass and sunlight, Mary Lou can heat this oven to nearly 300 degrees, and cook/bake in it just about anything you like. She's demonstrated them all over the world in places where diminishing firewood is a problem (including both Africa and Pakistan), and has helped Duncan Heinz and Betty Crocker dramatically extend their box cake brands into the Third World in the process.

My brother Erik's three children, their dog cousin, and a rather unflattering view of Erik's crotch. Fortunately, nobody seems to be paying much attention.

My father Jerry and his lifelong friend Bob.

What a haul! 17 fresh dungeness crab, after first loosing track of the location of our pots, and assuming they'd been poached. Maybe it's time to start thinking about a GPS.

My brother Kurt and cousin Jim clean the cooked crab.


And How Many Family Portraits Does One Really Need to See?












The 13th Camper (who tried to keep a pretty low profile through most of the weekend. But someone finally managed to capture her on camera in the end).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the tirteenth camper. Let's hope for Katie it is good luck!

I wish to send you photos of kiddies, and you with kiddies, and fireworks and such, but am not sure if this will go through-- so I will send here in zip and also to Erik. I hope they make their way to you and I hope your travels are safe and happy.

You are a good man, my brother-in-law!

Chloe

Anonymous said...

So I can't figure out how to zip file photos-- will leave it to E.

I got the firewords your wanted me to-- and some great photos of Erik, you and the kids:)

And I am looking forward to reports of hearing kicks from Stephanie's belly!

All love.
Chloe

Anonymous said...

Hello from your friends on Nantucket. A note from you was read in this morning s joys and concerns. It was great to hear you are heading west and hope to make it to Sacramento soon. I am sorry I missed you when you were in Nantucket a few weeks ago. My family is staying with Susie through the summer. You may remember, her boyfriend Bill Hance died last summer so we are all keeping her company.
Kent Jarrell, son of Susie, son of Oscar
Take care, we think of you often... kjarrell@apcoworldwide.com

Lisa said...

I made a solar cooker with a pizza box. We made corn muffins.