Friday, January 9, 2009

Updates sad and glad.

I've been waiting three days now with barely 'bated breath to learn the results of last Tuesday's CT Scan, and today I heard: no real changes in the size of the tumors, no evidence of growth or metastasis -- in short, about as good of news as I could have hoped or expected to hear, and a nice sense of relieve for myself, the church, and all my friends and family. Yes, it would have been nice to have heard that my cancer was melting away like an open carton of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream on a hot August afternoon in New England...but that would have been an awful lot to expect, expecially since this isn't August So we just left the Ben & Jerry's at the suppermarket, and came home to celebrate with my favorite local wood fired pizza and some salads.

The sad news is a little harder to sit with. Learned last Wednesday that my friend Steve Lesneski -- Steve the Sailor or "Cap't Steve" -- passed away Wednesday night at the Gosnell Memorial Hospice House in Scarborough, in the company of his brother Paul. Steve and Paul had both come to be friends of mine in the past 18 months, and one of my own deep regrets is that I know that my own illness prevented me from spending as much time as I would have liked to with Steve in the last few days and weeks of his life. But I also know that my friendship with them both has made a huge impression on my own life in that time, and I only hope that those feelings were reciprocated in a way that allowed Steve to draw upon the wisdom and inspiration of "Father Tim" as he needed it in his last days.


Yacht Southerly under sail...


Yacht Southerly careening in Portland Maine

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is such a mix of sweet and sour.

Glad to hear of your good report.

Val B.

Lizard Eater said...

Good news on no growth. (Hmm, that's a strange thing to say to a minister.) Happy to hear that.

I'm sorry about your friend. And sympathetic because a cancer-parent friend of mine just got the dreaded "there's nothing more we can do." Some well-meaning friends have wondered why I become friends with other cancer-parents, knowing that it is a risk. But isn't it always?

Anyway, celebrate, celebrate the good news. Stasis can be good cause for celebration.

Anonymous said...

New Year greetings. Glad your scan report was good, sorry to hear of your friend. Diane

Anonymous said...

Tim

Your "good news" was also a relief for me. My prayers for a good result were answered. I think your fiendship with Steve and your visits with him at Hospice were certainly comforting to him in his final days. I know during our final visit, you felt his time here on earth was about to end. It is always difficult to lose the ones we love and care about, and I am certain that Father Tim made things easier for Steve to be ready to deal with his final days. He was truly a brave man, as are you.

Christen said...

Happy to hear your good news, Congrats!
Very sorry to hear about Steve, one of your first friends in the new local and a source of support for you this past year. I don't doubt for one millisecond that he knew you were with him and was able to draw on your wisdom and friendship.

PeaceBang said...

Thanks for the ups and downs update. Glad to hear the medical news and sorry about the death of your friend. But what's this "Father Tim" stuff? Don't make me come up there and remind everyone that you never took vows of poverty, chastity or obedience -- even though you might as well have.
(Neener, neener!)

Unknown said...

I just recieved my UVM Catalog and discovered that my very dear friend from college passed away.
We had lost touch over the years and I have been weeping since I got this information. If there is any one that might give me information about his passing I would so much appreicate it.

Tara Roberta Kagan