Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday, another Monday...

And I'm a little surprised about how much anxiety i was holding inside about the possible results of last week's CT scan, and how good it feels to have that out of the way, and to be back again only to dealing with my usual Sunday post-preaching adreneline crash. And today -- very much outside the box: caught a taxicab over to Sacred Heart Church in South Portland where I attended a funeral mass for my friend Steve, then hitched a ride with Steve's brother back over to the reception at the Holiday Inn and then afterwards caught a ride back to my place (only a few blocks away) from one of the people that I met there. Felt very independent, and also quite connected. The service was good -- very fine eulogy and a nice address as well; the priest (Fr McAllister?) seemed to be a pretty erudite fellow who knew his Greek Testament and caught Steve's "Free Spirit" pretty well. And I enjoyed the unfamiliar "familiar" hymns: "Be Not Afraid" and "On Eagle's Wings," which I almost never hear except outside my own Unitarian Church. And yes, we are all going to miss Steve a lot. But I do feel better knowing just how much of him I still carry with me everywhere i go, and that I can rely on that whenever I choose to reach out and trust it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Small world...Steve was a childhood playmate...I lived not far..just of Hillcrest ave where Steve, Kathy & Paul grew up. We played Red Rover !!!
I had lost touch and was saddened to read of his passing....Sue Comyns

Anonymous said...

Loss and sorrow all around -- I happened to see an obit this morning for our NHS classmate Steve Reebs, who passed away last month after fighting colon cancer for three years. But he had work he valued and he used to run marathons for fun and his family and friends loved him dearly. I'll pass on the marathons myself, but the rest of it sounds good. Peace to you, Tim, and I'm so glad your medical report is as good as it is. Ann B