Monday, January 19, 2009

The Content of their Character

And it looks like I'm evolving into a once-a-week blogger, whether I want to or not. And even at that, I don't feel like I have that much to say. I think I've gotten over whining about having to change Health Insurance providers, at least for the time being; my physical health seems good -- fairly decent energy, relatively free of pain, the Chemo seems to be doing it's job, and I can feel the improvements with my Physical Therapy after practically every session; and life at Church seems to be moving along quite smoothly as well. I enjoy being present to lead the "ordinaries" on the Sundays that I'm not preaching, while this schedule of in and out of the pulpit every other week seems to suit just about everyone, including the people in the pews. I still have a few issues to resolve around my disability insurance, but hope to work that out before the end of the week; and then at the end of the month I'm planning to move into a new apartment here at my current facility. It's in the other tower, and about the same amount of room as I have here -- but I get a full kitchen (instead of just a fridge and a microwave) as well as in-unit laundry, a walk-in shower (with built-in shower seat)...although I do lose my balcony, which I'm sure I'll miss in the spring. And because it's upstairs though I'll be a little more off the "beaten path" as well, which I may or may not enjoy.

I'm also very excited about tomorrow's Inauguration, and everything that it represents about 500+ years of American History. Has me thinking about the illusion of Race and the insidious corrosiveness of Racism - this ideological fiction we've created in order to justify one half of a family owning their brothers and sisters as chattel property. And the problem: how DO we teach ourselves to see beyond it, to that place where skin color is no longer a marker of "other?" An Obama Presidency has got to be a huge step forward in this regard. And it also makes me happy to know that as a child Barack had at least a brief exposure to the Unitarian faith, through his grandparents Stanley and "Toot." The sad part is that I'm probably going to end up missing most of the actual ceremony itself, because of a Physical Therapy appointment and our regular Tuesday staff meeting. But I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to watch it later, including the controversial invocation by Purpose-Driven Pastor Rick Warren.

Funny, but I'm feeling very prayerful at the moment. All of the things I've sacrificed to this cancer, and still I'm feeling grateful, almost beyond words. And I honestly don't know whether that is an indication of something wrong with me, or something very, very right....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something very right. (Duh!)

We are excited about tomorrow too, planning to break out a bottle of champagne for the occasion and who cares that it's 9AM Pacific? Here's to unity, justice and peace -- may we find our way there, with God's help.

Ann B

Anonymous said...

Let's hope and pray that it is "something very, very right". The inauguration today was also something that also seemed to be something that is very, very right!
Let's Hope!

Lisa the Fashionista said...

Truthfully, I hope you canceled your physical therapy and watched the inauguration. I lucked out. The swearing in of both Biden and Obama happened during my lunch hour. I streamed it through Facebook. Such a magical day.

In the words of Keith Olberman, it was the end of an error. I mean era.

Anonymous said...

Now it's one day after and you were right that Rick Warren did a good job. I was horrified that he launched into The Lord's Prayer, or Prayer of Jesus, but my good friend Howard, a liberal but observant Jew, didn't mind at all. Warren made clear that he was praying to Jesus as HIS PERSONAL religious leader, so that put me at ease. He specifically rejected the theocracy.

On another topic, I find once-a-week blogging is healthier. It forces me to spend more time attending to the wisdom of others.

Anonymous said...

I--predictably, I know!--thought Rick Warren was awful. He sounded like a televangelist flim-flam man. And naturally he just HAD to impose his own personal "god" on everyone.

I don't want to hear about ANYONE's personal god at public events like this. Not even my own, such as it is. They can keep that for their "national" prayer service.

I infinitely preferred the prayer of Gene Robinson, which naturally the media arranged to keep out of the televised portion of the pre-inaugural concert.

I'm sure that if they could have bleeped out Obama's reference to non-believers they would have.