Friday, January 23, 2009

Better Days

And unlike so many of my friends, I've basically been miserable for the first three days of the Obama administration -- sick in bed vomiting, and with diarrhea, nausea, night sweats, fever, chills, and all the other little nasty aches and pains that accompany those nasty winter bugs... Awful. Just Awful. Fortunately, the staff here have been equally wonderful about caring for me and making sure that I have everything that I need and don't expire anonymously in the night. It's really a horrible feeling to be sick and all alone, which makes me feel all the more grateful that in my situation help was only the push of a button away. I did decide to pass my pulpit responsibilities for this Sunday off to my designated "back-up" though -- which was a very hard thing for me to do, even though I felt immediately better the moment I had done it. And finally, this morning, some actual breakfast: cheerios and half an English muffin, plus three different kinds of juices (none of which really agreed with me).

I have no idea what this photo is going to look like here, but I hope it's half as impressive as it was in the paper. [click on image to expand it to full size]

2 comments:

Christine Robinson said...

Interesting photo. I grew up in DC, and know all those buildings from their imposing facades. I didn't realize how many were hollow.

You're not the only one who was miserable this week. We'll make it up sometime, won't we?

Anonymous said...

So often, as a single person, when I have a bug like the one you've had, I am unable to eat or dress, because there's no one there to do the WORK of making those things happen for me. No one to fix the food. No one to draw the bath, which yes, is still a job, even if not what it was in the days of wells and buckets over the fire. I know my vulnerability as a single is part of what has made me such a sorry fanatic for care committees wherever I am ministering.

So, Tim, with all your other ills, I am happy you're in a space where good people help you recover as fast and as safely as you can from these little unfortunate ailments.