Thursday, October 23, 2008

Porcupine Balls

And because of my busy schedule yesterday, I had to delay until today my special birthday meal here at the Assisted Living cafeteria. It's the practice here to cook the birthday boy or girl whatever they want on their birthday -- a policy which (when I first was informed about it a few weeks ago, so I could make a decision about what I wanted to eat) seemed an awful lot like the last meal of a condemned inmate, but is actually a very nice personal touch in an environment that always flirts with the danger of becoming just another impersonal social institution.

And who knows? I don't mean to sound morbid or anything, but around here it is not an entirely unjustified assumption to believe that ANY given birthday might actually be one's last. And this is true even for someone like me, who (yes, counting this birthday) is STILL 41 years younger than BOTH of the gentlemen with whom I share a table at mealtimes! When I realized this, I decided that maybe I wanted to make a little bit bigger deal of celebrating my birthday this year after all. Which means I'm going to KEEP on celebrating it all the way through the weekend, rather than just letting it fade back into obscurity.

Because I know you're curious, the meal I requested was Porcupine Balls, with fresh French cut green beans and a white birthday cake with raspberry filling for dessert. These were a great comfort food from my childhood, and to my great surprise they came out just the way I remembered them. The green beans were a big disappointment though -- actually, they were MIA entirely, and replaced by broccoli that was barely recognizable as such, and had certainly seen much better days. But the cake was magnificent! Good healthy slices for my messmates and myself, and one for my fridge for later -- then I cut what was left into much more manageable pieces, and wheeled myself around the cafeteria serving out slices to whoever wanted one. Worked out a little like the loaves and fishes -- and was able to serve the last person in the room the last piece of cake.

And while I'm on the subject of birthdays, I was reminded again today that I actually share a birthday with another very famous (or should I say Imfamous?) Tim, who celebrated his last birthday over a dozen years ago now. Here's a little something about him that I wrote at the time.

"THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN AMERICA"

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey
happy birthday !!!!
love the pictures of Parker.
miss you and her.
jeanne

The Eclectic Cleric said...

I have mementos for both you and for Jane here at the house; give me a call, so that we can make plans to meet up and I can give you yours.

Tim

PeaceBang said...

I was falling asleep the other night and I thought DAMN, I think it's Timmy's birthday today - I think he's 52 now. I need to call him and tease him about being such an old dude.

And then I didn't. So I'm glad to read this and I have to say that I'm sure the kitchen staff had a good giggle when they got your request for porcupine balls, to which my own reaction is "PORCU-WHAT?" This I gotta see.

And lay off that Diet Coke, will ya?

Birthday hugs, darlin.

PeaceBang said...

I was falling asleep the other night and I thought DAMN, I think it's Timmy's birthday today - I think he's 52 now. I need to call him and tease him about being such an old dude.

And then I didn't. So I'm glad to read this and I have to say that I'm sure the kitchen staff had a good giggle when they got your request for porcupine balls, to which my own reaction is "PORCU-WHAT?" This I gotta see.

And lay off that Diet Coke, will ya?

Birthday hugs, darlin.