Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Skipper, the Professor, the Millionaire....



Enjoyed a very nice day out on the water this afternoon after church, with my father and my little brother here to push me around -- something they rarely seem to miss a chance doing when the opportunity presents itself. Afterwards, I came home and took a nap -- they should have too, since later on during dinner at Bonobos they were both dog-tired and I was just starting to get my second wind. But no matter. Tonight they both get an early night, and I get a chance to catch up a little with my e-mail and my blogging: two things that always take a bit of a hit when my family is in town.

The ferry ride is basically just an afternoon excursion to nowhere -- we get on the boat in Portland, find a place out of the wind to stow ourselves and our gear, then ride along as the boat makes routine stops at four different islands. As someone in a wheelchair I not only get a discount ticket but my whole party gets priority boarding as well. It's a cheap and easy way to get out and see a little of the bay, and people-watch as well as sight-see on a lovely summer afternoon. It was Jackie's idea (she's the one who took the picture); next goal now is to get mobile enough to take the Downeast DUCK tour, and finally to get on to one of the commercial classic sailing vessels that make similar excursions into Casco Bay. Hey, I've got to have SOMETHING to look forward too, right? Even if it is just "a three-hour cruise, a three-hour cruise...."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are getting out, despite your illness, more than I am.

I know YOU didn't have a choice about it, but for people with marginal afflictions, the wheelchair is a godsend. However, people seem reluctant to use one. Instead, they stay put inside their homes, trying to get well in secret. It makes the depression of illness much worse, and ticks off those who love them and want to have fun with them as part of caregiving.

So your two pictures are really a hint and motivation to everyone who might benefit from a wheelchair.

And BTW, the one time I did use one in public, for the annual Spring Flower Show in Boston, it was almost as much fun to watch people respond to a wheelchair rider as it was to look at the flowers. I would not recommend such a crowded and mobile place again, but it was something my roommate and I always did, and her new boyfriend was willing to add his muscles to the cause (they are now married more than ten years).

Lisa said...

Three things amaze me about Gilligan's Island:

1. I don't remember one episode of it. But I do remember that it made time stand still.
2. That even though it was just a three-hour cruise, the entire crew brought with them every item they owned!!!
3. That a show like that had such a huge following.

You look good. And I am so glad that you are getting out.

Lisa

PeaceBang said...

Okay, Pop Culture Nerd, it's "A three hour TOUR, a three hour TOUR." For which, you will notice, they all brought along their entire wardrobes.
;-)

Glad you got out. I spent a very lovely day on Long Island about ten years ago and still remember the ferry ride fondly.
xoxo