Monday, July 28, 2008

The Peripetatic Couch Potato Stands Again...

And the plain truth of the matter is that my father is entirely too excited about all this, but today in physical therapy another nice milestone: long periods of standing unassisted, plus a few circumambulations (with the help of the walker) of my living room. All RELATIVELY pain-free. And then later in the afternoon we actually took the show out on the road...or at least out into the hallway, where I walked halfway to the elevator and back. Small steps, I know. Especially on the same day that the movers are starting to pack up my apartment furnishings to move them into storage before my lease expires at the end of the month. But it sure did give my dad a lot of pleasure to see me "up and about" again. So I guess that's some sort of consolation.

It really is mostly about the pain. Put enough narcotics in me, and I could probably walk just about anywhere you asked me to. Could be wrong about that; but I'm not much in the mood to find out either. I can feel the muscles getting stronger, and I'm getting much better on managing both the baseline and the breakthrough sciatica...so as long as I am persistent, and continue to practice, and don't let myself get derailed by overexertion or a silly injury...I should steadily improve. Progress, not Perfection. That's the ticket. Progress, not Perfection.

Meanwhile, lots of other things on my plate here at the end of the month as well. Bill, reports, overdue e-mails. Just when I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to pick up my pallet and walk, suddenly life is calling me to spend a helluva lot more time at my desk. What's THAT about anyway?

5 comments:

Janet said...

Yay! Slow and steady does it, as they say. It's got to be good for you all around.

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK!
LOVE, LIZA

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK!
LOVE, LIZA

Lisa said...

Hey Tim:

I think your body is telling you that you are getting better. Keep up the hard work. You are amazing.

Lisa

PeaceBang said...

GREAT news, kiddo. We all hope to hear more along the same lines. Hugs to you.