Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blogging Under the Influence

My friend Ted Anderson writes from Nantucket:

During the mediaeval period being a hero was not only an act of courage, it was terribly isolating. Secular, like Beowulf, or saintly, like George, the hero went alone to meet his dragon. Don't argue. I know Wiglaf went with his uncle to challenge the firedrake. Minor exception. George had a horse. "Truth, like an onion, wears many coats, all of which are hollow." Gilles de Vannes.

The truth is that fighting dragons is isolating. Standing alone to challenge his fate even the bravest hero may expect to experience the feelings you enumerated in your most recent blog: "helpless, abandoned, forgotten." Your actions make it clear that you are none of the above, but looking the dragon in the mouth those feelings rise intellectually unbidden; a reminder that in legend as in life, the mind is never in sole command when confronting a dragon.

Sankaty Sanctus, Ted



A very wise man, this Reverend Anderson. And yes, as he so aptly reminds me, I am well aware of the "heroic" isolation of dragon-slaying. And yet I'm also reminded of how many other people are fighting this same or similar dragons, and how we are all united in our isolation; and also all of the people who are fighting THIS dragon with me...in spirit certainly, or as closely as I can connect with them through this blog and other contacts. The "bad" days are simply part of the ordeal. Everyvbody has them. Without them, some say, the good days would seem pale and hollow too.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to have to keep a better grip on my Greek Testament. This time it bounced open to Luke 22, where the the last half of verse 42 especially caught my eye: plen me to thelema mou alla to sov ginestho -- "...nevertheless, not my will, but thine, be done." And it's making me wish I'd paid a little better attention in summer school 30 years ago, or at least that I had convenient access to my study aids. Because it sure looks to me like there are those same two words again from the Sheep Pool, only in a slightly different tense. "Are you willing to be made whole?" "Not my will, but thine, be done." What do we really want? How much are we willing to endure? What does it mean "to be made whole," and how much of that process is an act of assertiveness, and how much an act of acceptance? Pick up your pallet and walk. But walk where? periepatei Just walk around.

Also intrigued by the two verses which follow Luke 22:42, which apparently are omitted in some ancient manuscripts. "And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." Sure sounds to me like those words were written by somebody who knows what they are talking about. Even if they do come with a footnote....

Sankaty Sanctus. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there
sounds hard lately. i miss you. i haven't been able to visit lately , but will soon.
i think of you daily .
jeanne