Monday, December 1, 2008

A Red Christmas Cardinal

From time to time I need to remind myself that I don't really need to publish an entire dissertation here each time I post; that sometimes it's enough just to make a quick observation and pass on. For example, lovely service yesterday for the first Sunday in Advent: a comfortably full house, a frisky spirit, fantastic music, and a guest speaker too, Karen Foley, who we invited in at the last minute because people were worried after last weekend about whether or not I was going to be physically up to preaching yesterday. As it turned out, I was feeling fine, and am now looking forward to next Sunday with eager anticipation. Meanwhile, yesterday I helped lead the rest of the service (and especially the Announcements, Candlesharing, and Offertory), while Karen carried the more liturgical/"spiritual" elements (the prayer, lesson and message...plus invocation and benediction) and contributed yet another voice to the expanding chorus of colleagues who have come forward to support me during my illness

I also received a very nice gift yesterday, inspired by a sermon I preached a year ago. Here's the manuscript LINK -- see if you can figure out what the gift might have been....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

You now have another blog fan -- Keith has started following along, with great appreciation, particularly the sports factoids, but also some of the sermons you've referenced.

My guess: an Advent Calendar? What kid hasn't fallen prey to the temptation to open or at least pry a little at those doors, at least once!

So glad you have been feeling better!

Val C

spiritualastronomer said...

Hi, Tim, from another long lost soul from many years ago in Roseburg, Oregon. I somehow found your blog by figuring out that the Eclectic Cleric could be no one but you - remembering your license plate in Oregon.

Lots has happened in the past 8 or so years, too much to go into here. I'll just say that my thoughts and prayers (yes, that's what happens when you attend a Jesuit seminary in Seattle) are with you.

Chris Smith

The Eclectic Cleric said...

For those of you who didn't figure it out, the gift was an Advent Calendar all my very own, a present from Trustees President Stephen Jenks.