Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tattooed

Yesterday while I was waiting to be transported back from Radiology, an orderly walked by wearing a "President's Quality Award Team" sweatshirt. But I only got a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye, and thought that it said "President Quayle's..." and for a moment that I had been transported into some sort of Rod Serlingesque alternative universe where...but then I got a closer look, and realized that nope...this really was my real life after all....

Also got my first tattoo yesterday. Nothing really to write home about (except that here I am, doing just that): five little "targets" on my sides and abdomen so that the Radiation Oncologist can properly sight his ray gun when he goes to irradiate this small (but growing) metastatic tumor at the very tip of my tailbone. This is what's been giving me all the pain in my back and down my legs, so the NEW treatment plan is to attack it first for a couple of weeks before starting my chemotherapy, to see whether they can shrink or (better yet) eradicate it entirely, and relieve this pain which at times is still incapacitating. At least now it's mostly down to a range-of-motion thing; there are some things I can do in reasonable comfort, and others which require a little creative "work around." But until they can finish weaning me off of the good, old-fashioned 19th century intravenous morphine on to something more 21st century that I can take by mouth, I'm pretty much stuck in the hospital -- at least over the weekend. Asked for a four-hour furlough to attend church, but was turned down cold. I'm also a little worried because I've heard that one of the potential side effects of this new drug is that it turns you into a raving, reactionary right-wing Republican radio talk show host. But apparently that's just another urban legend.

I've also been reflecting quite a bit about how battling cancer is just like battling any other insurgency. The first thing you want to do is gain the initiative: inhibit its freedom to grow and move, and force it to respond to you rather than you responding to it. It's also important to try to cut it off from its sources of supply and support in the body: those things which give it aid and comfort and allow it to sustain itself. Cancer is a disease of excess. It loves fats and sugars and all that other stuff we know is bad for us, and turns up its nose at the things that feed our health rather than our malignancy. Winning the battle for hearts and minds is critically important. If we allow the disease to terrify us into giving up hope, its won before we've even had a chance to start. Fear and discouragement are the real killers. And we combat them with trust, hope, confidence and the love and encouragement of those who love us. And, of course, we must do all these things in ways that don't do more harm than good. That's the tricky part of battling any insurgency. Because "destroying the village in order to save it" never really was a very smart option.

The other day I mentioned that one of the first things my oncologist told me during our initial consultation is that I have a form of cancer which can be "treated, but not cured." And I suppose that if I didn't understand that "cured" is a technical medical term about statistical outcomes given known treatment options, I would have been a little worried about that. But I'm not really that interested in being "cured." Hams are cured. I want to healed -- which is to say, I want to remain healthy and vital enough to do whatever work God has left for me to do on this earth, and perhaps even to have a chance of dying of something more interesting somewhere down the line. And God knows, there's nothing wrong with being "treated" every now and again.

But you know, none of this is ever really entirely under our control. It's just that my situation now has a lot more specificity to it than it did six months ago. And all things being equal, I would MUCH rather be sitting here waiting for room service in the Gibson Pavilion of the Barbara Bush Wing of the Maine Medical Center than gearing up in full battle-rattle to be going out on patrol in Iraq.

PS -- I've been receiving tons of supportive e-mails from folks all over the country as word spreads about my illness, but unfortunately the firewall here at MMC apparently prevents me from connecting to my outgoing STMP mail server, which means that while I can read your e-mails I can't reply to them yet. I'm trying to figure out an efficient work around, but until I do please know that you are also in MY thoughts, and that everything truly interesting I have to communicate is already going into this blog. And of course, you are always welcome to comment here if you like!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I would call this lucky, but at least your doctors have figured out what is causing your back pain and how and where to zap it.

My beloved brother-in-law's doctors have been looking for this kind of information about his affliction for weeks. They cannot identify anything and yet he gets weaker and suffers more pain. Now they've clapped him in the hospital just to prevent more falls and unpredicted incidents at home.

So yes, those little tattoos are indeed hopeful signs. And as bad as it is to have something on your spinal cord, at least your medical team has been able to find it.

Best wishes, Tim.

Anonymous said...

thank you for all your beautiful postings about your philosophy of life and living with an illness. as someone who has ministered to the mentally ill and those with mood disorders, i am reminded of the phrase i learned training as a mental health chaplain: You are not your mood disorder. Still the same old Tim, with eternal sunshine in a spotless mind, hurrah for your wonderful sermons and equally wonderful outlook reflected in the blogs. you have the courage of a lion and the stubborn tenacity of a boston terrier...a good mix! Healing prayers,
Rev. Elizabeth Leavitt

Anonymous said...

From the Little River Band "Cool Change" by Glenn Shorrock
"If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time that I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear water
Lots of those friendly people
And they're showing me ways to go
And I never want to lose their inspiration
Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change
And now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change

Well, I was born in the sign of water
And it's there that I feel my best
The albatross and the whales they are my brothers
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Staring at the full moon, like a lover

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change

I've never been romantic
And sometimes I don't care
I know it may sound selfish
But let me breathe the air, yeah
Let me breathe the air

[Instrumental Interlude]

If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time that I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear water
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Staring at the full moon, like a lover

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's hard for a cool
Cool, cool change

It's time, it's time, it's time
It's time, it's time, it's time
For a cool, cool change
Oooooh, I know it's time for a cool
Cool, cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
Well, I know, I know, I know, I know
That it's time for a cool change
Yes it is, yes it is, yes it is, yes it is
It's Time for a cool change."


We (you and Parker and the colleagues) sojourned together at a few CBD UUMA meetings whilst you were serving the Carlisle congregation.

I've read every word of your One Day Isle, and read the two sermons referenced, and your profile. (Joni Mitchell, oh yeah.) Thank you for your wit writ large.

I'm a Maine-iac, partly by ancestry, then most definitely by choice. Memories forever etched in mind of Portland/Brunswick/Phippsburg/Peak's Island/and many places interior and coastal up to Calais and even Fort Kent, since 1978. Blooming where I've been planted in CT since 1996, but get I get "home" as often as I can.

I was thinking about where you are, existentially(?) When pondering, quite often a song comes to mind through the meanderings. Thinking of how time has changed for you, whence the song.

Praises be for blogs. I don't read them much, the occasional PeaceBang now and then. I'll be reading yours because you have touched the eternal in the face of the finite in a way that is not yet mine to face as directly.

Not much more that I can say,(can I get an Alleluia?) because of knowing some things that pastors know, and not knowing you that well. I will keep you and Parker and all who love you in my thoughts, and I'll keep reading as long as you keep writing.

"May you dwell in the heart, may you be free from suffering, may you be healed, may you be whole, may you be at peace. May all beings dwell in the heart, may all be free from suffering. May all beings heal in the heart, may we all be at peace." a Buddhist Sutra arranged by Robert Gass for On Wings of Song, learned at Ferry Beach last July thanks to Elaine Bomford.

In The Light,
Lucy Ijams