Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Sabbath

Hoped to get a four-hour furlough from the hospital today to attend services at First Parish, but my Docs weren't having any of it, and the truth be told I wasn't really feeling up to it physically anyway. Lee Devoe from Augusta filled the pulpit for me, and from all reports it was a lovely service with lots of laughter and good feeling, and a real sense of coming together as a community.

Of course, one good thing about being stuck in the hospital for the past four days is that I've been able to watch ALL of the March Madness regional finals. You can read some of my thoughts about that HERE

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share this e-mail I received after LAST Sunday's Easter Service, which certainly warmed my heart when i read it, and which I hope will inspire all of you as well. Be on your toes! This person may well soon be appearing in YOUR local congregation....

Reverend Jensen,

I was in Portland for the weekend, and visited with your congregation for Easter Sunday services. I identify as Lutheran having been raised in the Lutheran church in my very early childhood [insert large church-free gap] and then starting to study and seek later when I was at college. I had never been to a UU service before, and chose yours based on a web search and a feeling.

In even my brief studies of the New Testament while in college, I found comfort (beauty, humanity, acceptance, reality) and not conflict in the sometimes contradictory stories about Jesus' life pieced together from various texts and recorded years after his death. Many sermons seem to always quote the same safe passages. Thank you for taking another route. It seemed much more real and important of a message -- perhaps just the one I needed to hear on this day.

I just wanted to say thank you to you and the congregation because I was struck by the feeling of acceptance and openness at First Parish. It seemed that almost everyone was genuinely happy to be there and not there because-they-should or because-they-were-dragged type of look. I have never noticed having that feeling before while in church so perhaps it was the day or the sunshine, but it seemed to be special to the place and the people. And you have a way of using humor without trivializing, and being welcoming without a trace of guilt-related shudda-couldda-woulddas which seem to be a part of so many services. It was inspiring. it seems to me that you have a great gift.

Thank you to all for providing me with this new experience and this feeling of acceptance. I have been reading about UUs these last few hours, and feel so very proud of all of you -- which is weird to say I know -- but that type of balance and understanding matched with forward-thinking action (showing strong convictions) can not be easy and seems to me that it would take hard work. It seems to be a great model for community at large if we could all be that convinced and simultaneously open minded!

I know that I don't understand completely and can't honestly say that I could leave my traditions, but I hope to learn more at a local UU nearby my home....

Thank you again,

No comments: