Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chemo Class

So anyway, I attended my mandatory (well, highly-recommended) pre-chemotherapy "chemo-class" yesterday: basically an hour-long PowerPoint presentation explaining what Chemotherapy is, how it works, along with long and detailed descriptions of possible side effects and how to manage them effectively. A nice section on nutrition, and of course plenty of reassurance than most people don't experience ALL of the side effects, and that today's chemotherapy is markedly better and less debilitating than the notoriously unpleasant experience of just a decade ago.

But the best part of the presentation was the big bag of cancer swag that each of us received, compliments of the pharmaceutical companies. Mine included a water bottle, a small fleece blanket (for keeping warm during my chemo, I imagine), TWO digital thermometers, a large plastic weekly pill organizer, a pocket calendar (for keeping track of all my Dr's appointments, I presume), along with various samples of lip balm, anti-bacterial gel, and of course a small bottle of Imodium caplets (just in case). Plus a lot more cancer homework, including a little DVD from Lilly Oncology titled "Taking back control." I've heard the book is better, but I'm still waiting to see the movie.

Wish I could say I was the youngest person in my chemo-class, but I wasn't' -- there was also a woman in perhaps her early to mid-thirties, accompanied by someone I assumed to be her mother. She was wearing one of those dark purple cancer awareness bracelets, which Google tells me could be pancreatic cancer, or domestic violence, or perhaps just general cancer awareness. Large diamond wedding band also, and a New York Yankees baseball cap...which is way more than enough information for the fiction writer in me to imagine all sorts of heart-rending plots about crushed dreams and orphaned children. So if any of you have a little spare prayer energy, I hope you'll direct some her way.

Meanwhile, my Dad has arrived to stay with me for as long as I need him or (in his words) "as long as you can stand me," my kids are arriving later this evening, and my brother and his family from New York (OK, technically Connecticut) are all arriving Friday. So I'm going to be inundated with loving relatives for Easter, which is a pretty rare and exciting thing for me. Especially since my brother's family is Jewish....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I'm sorry to hear the news, I was just thinking of you as I walked around the 1/2 books at our favorite store. Have a great Easter.

You're in my prayers,
Hank

Berrysmom said...

Tim, I don't even know you, but I stumbled on your announcement in a recent UUMA-Chat, and here I am. (Actually I think I might recognize you...)

If it helps, know that there's a colleague out here reading your blog (as I occasionally read The Eclectic Cleric) and praying for you. The sense of humor will undoubtedly help.

Your Easter sermon will be wonderful -- not because of whatever you say (well, maybe that too), but because so many people who love you will be sitting there in the congregation exuding love and religiousness (in the best way) and it will be a mighty fine morning.

Then comes Monday. Time to pray some more. You're not alone.

Rev. Melanie said...

Hey Tim love,

I'm of course VERY sorry to hear your news, but heartened to see the courage and humor with which you are facing this challenge. I'm keeping you in my heart, and in my thoughts and prayers.

It may be something of a cliche, but I'll tell you something a parishioner once told me. You might have cancer, but don't let the cancer have YOU.

Take care, darlin, be well. Know that LOTS of other people are sending you strength.

Love, Melanie

Anonymous said...

Tim, I am so sorry...I did not know until I read a UUMA post today. Please call upon me for anything you may need. Personally or professionally. I am so close by and am usually in Portland at least once a week. I can help you at home or church. I will call you and hold you my thoughts. Sue Kingman

Unknown said...

Dear Tim: I didn't not want to hear news like this, life just plays too many "shitty" cards. You are among a few colleagues/friends that I trust completely and care for deeply. If I can be of assistance in any way--let me know. ChemoYucky, but I've heard there are, actually, new miracles in some of those targeted elixirs they now use. Love you and thinking of you--I will include your name in my practice of doing Sufi Healing work in a small group in Seattle.

Not so Cheerfully, Your Colleague
Roger Kuhrt

navn said...

Dear Tim,
What sad news. Who could guess this when we first met in Norway. You will always be in our prayers and thoughts . Courage, mon ami :-)

Anette and Knut

PeaceBang said...

oh Timmy, only you could coin the phrase "cancer swag!" LOL! It should have all come in a huge wrapped basket with lots of perfume samples and designer sunglasses.

Well, shit.

Shit.

Talk to you soon.
Love you lots. You do everything those doctors tell you or I will be up in a New York minute to swat you upside the head, and not gently. But you already knew that.

xoxo my heart is with you and Parker the Fart Monster

Lilylou said...

Tim, I know your PNWD colleagues would want to know your news so that they can keep you in their thoughts and prayers. Is it okay to let them know? I could write them a note via the PNWD ministers chat or you might want to do it yourself. If you need that email address, I can provide it. My address is kitketcham@comcast.net.