Monday, February 2, 2009

So how many years do I need to eat Vegan...

in order to make up for the veal? Stop smirking; this is serious. I want to be an ethical eater, and the demands of my new 'cancer diet' create all sorts of fresh opportunities for me to integrate more healthy eating practices into my daily meals. But there are limitations too. So long as I'm living where I live, for example, I'm pretty much stuck eating whatever it is that the nutritionist has decided is healthy, and the chef has decided to prepare. There are choices, of course, but I don't know that "vegan" is really among them). Kosher, maybe. Diabetic almost certainly.

If I had my own kitchen, that would change a little, although probably not a whole lot right from the start. There's a place like that available here now, for only a few hundred dollars a month more than I'm paying right now, and I would still be able to eat one meal a day in the common dining area. Of course, it adds in all of the additional complications of grocery shopping, and meal planning, and the like...but there is also a built-in dishwasher and in-unit laundry which I suspect will make a huge difference in my sense of independence and quality of life. Nice walk-in shower with a built-in shower seat...it really is beautiful. But as they also say here in Maine, "Two hundred dollahs' is two hundred dollahs..."

Speaking of meals, strange STRANGE encounter in the elevator today after supper...was waiting patiently to get on the car, the car arrived, the door opened, the woman in front of me got in, and then REFUSED to slide over in order to make enough room for me to get on too. I was flabbergasted! Wheeled my chair halfway into the car, and was basically going to refuse to let the elevator go until she made room for me to get on...then my grown-up brain took over and I just let her have her way. Like I said, flabbergasted, especially considering how courteous we typically are in the elevator on my usual side of the building. But I'm also feeling a little like the young monk at the riverbank, still upset that his old companion carried the woman across the river. Need to learn how to set it all down again and let it go. Just let it go....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up, my parents taught me that apologizing was much less imporant than changing my ways. So I am dialing down the satisfied that at least over the last 35 years (since 1/1/1973), I've been doing ever less harm to the interdependent web.

Now, if I can just quit driving in the neighborhood! That leaky timing cover is doing more for that virtue than all Al Gore's science ever did!

Charlie Talbert said...

You may want to visit the website of Physicians’ Committee for Responsible Medicine at www.pcrm.org for information about the importance of diet in cancer prevention and treatment.

Type “dairy” into the search field on its home page and you’ll see a number of articles linking dairy products to cancer.

If your nutritionist recommends dairy, be aware that s/he probably belongs to, and receives professional information from, the American Dietetic Association. The ADA endorses “fact sheets” from corporations that contribute to it, such as the National Dairy Council. The Center for Science in the Public Interest provides more information about this mutually beneficial relationship here http://tinyurl.com/czm9zl .

Val B said...

Loved the elevator story. Maybe she was feeling particularly powerless that day and needed to demonstrate some power!

Kitchen vs no Kitchen- I wish I could use the Starship Enterprise method of meal prep. All the time shopping, chopping, cooking for 20 minutes per meal eating just doesn't add up for me. I thought of building a house without a kitchen and spending the saved construction cost on local take-out!

Zabeth69 said...

I also liked the elevator story. Akin to "why do high schoolers walk across the street against the light?" Because they can, and it's the only power they can demonstrate openly sometimes. You take your power when you can get it.