Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brown Rice & Green Tea

~
...Fresh, organically-grown vegetables, raw or lightly steamed....

Beans, lentils, chickpeas, squash, peas, corn, potatoes, carrots....

Yummy vegetable soups in tomato or vegetable stocks....

And, of course, lots of fresh fruit, berries and nuts.

Not to mention dried fruits: raisins, prunes, figs, apricots....

Oatmeal (and Oatmeal cookies!)

Freshly baked whole grain breads.

Muffins and Quickbreads.

Pasta.

Are free-range eggs and dairy products on the menu?

What about seafood?

Honey?

Gosh there's a lot of good things to eat out there that don't involve the carcasses of pigs, chickens, or cows.

And that's BEFORE you start looking at all of the different "faux meat" products that are available these days.

I know I've joked in the past about "veggie bacon cheeseburgers," but if you really feel that strongly about it, why not?

2 comments:

PeaceBang said...

I went to Whole Foods last night and had the opportunity to purchase humanely farmed, organic meats from all kinds of critters but there were so many other choices I wasn't tempted. I mean, I just didn't feel like it. Which was nice, for me and for my wallet.

I had a super delicious dinner from their cold bar -- noodles with pad thai sauce, tofu, and a delicious salad with goat cheese and cranberries and dressing. I'm sure I'll manage to stay fat no matter what diet I follow. We're SO GOOD at eating, aren't we?

;-)

Anonymous said...

After 30 some years of vegetarianism, it has come down to the same thing as any other kind of cuisine: find a few favorites that work, and stick with them. Know the limits for your experiments and do them when you need to perk things up.

What does not change, sadly, is the need to wash dishes...