Tuesday, June 16, 2009

D-DAY!

Whew! -- and what a departure it was! Both my brother from from Greenwich and my ride to Boston called in sick this past weekend- the former with a sick child in the hospital, the latter with a temperature of 100.5 - news which sent us all scrambling trying to pull together plan B. Only cost my $3000 to "sell" my car back to the dealership (more on this later - promise), with only 6000 miles on it, and a $12,600 loan balance. Books weighed in at a lot more than anticipated as well, although I knew that they would, they ALWAYS do. But a great group of volunteers from the church managed though to get everything packed, and without much help with me, who basically spent most of Sunday afternoon and evening fast asleep and unable to communicate with the outside world except in brief moments of lucidity. In any event, the movers picked up everything Monday, and Tuesday Jackie once again scrambled around to line me up with a rental car and a couple of volunteer drivers from the choir eager for a road trip. And away we went! Itinerary from here on out included milk and cookies this afternoon with my former congregation in Carlisle, and then a week-long trip to Nantucket over the weekend, where I will also be preaching the sermon on the 21st. Don't have a title yet. Probably something about the longest day of the year. And then after Nantucket, New York (well, suburban Connecticut) where I will be staying with my brother until we all fly out together on the 30th. Fourth of July fireworks on the beach, perhaps 3 weeks of reading and sunshine, followed by a quick weekend trip to Portland OR to visit my daughter, rub her tummy for luck and celebrate her marriage last spring to her longtime live-in boyfriend (another firefighter), and the expected arrival of their first child (Margie's and My first grandchild!) sometime near the end of August.

But first from there to Sacramento, to unpack this great mess and get hooked up with my new team of doctors ad UC Davis. Like most tragic heros, my great strength (boundless optimism)) is also the source of my undoing. So ouch! But there it is: Tim's 2009 BiCoastal Farewell Summer "Tour de la Couer." Hope to see or hear from all of you somewhere along the way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do NOT knock Boundless Optimism. Ann B

Zabeth69 said...

Bon Voyage, Tim, Homme de Meilleur Coeur!

Beth

Nerissa Rain said...

Were you able to make it to the Pink Martini Concert before you left? Glad transportation was figured out and I hope you can keep up your energy through the summer!
Allison G.

Val B said...

Missed your "boundless optimism" and presence this morning at FP Portland. Hope you had a good morning in Nantucket. Keep us posted on your progress.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have missed your stop in Carlisle. Enjoy your visit on beautiful Nantucket. Sue & Steve

Margaret Skelly said...

Dear Tim -- We did not know you were visiting FRS. George and I most certainly would have been there had we known. Godspeed on your journeys. -- Margaret

PeaceBang said...

All I can say is, Jackie, you're a SAINT.