Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Other Shoe

For those of you around the country who have been waiting for the other shoe to drop after my February 18th posting “Died in the Ministry,” last week I sent the following letter to every member and friend of the First Parish in Portland:


Wednesday March 4th, 2009

Dear Members and Friends of the First Parish in Portland

After a great deal of reflection and no little soul searching, I have decided not to return in September to the pulpit at First Parish in the role of your settled parish minister.

I realize this announcement will come as a relief to some and as a disappointment to others. But I have known for some time now that I simply incapable of doing 100% of my job 100% of the time, and that I require considerable assistance simply to do the 20% of the job I felt was still delivering 80% of the benefit.

What I have only recently come to appreciate is that I am also no longer capable of giving 100% of my self to this ministry, not because of lack of desire, but because it is simply no longer there. Because of my illness, I am no longer the kind of minister I have always aspired to be, and the emotional burden this has placed on many of the critical lay leaders of this congregation has been considerable.

Your kindness, generosity and support for me these past twelve months have been overwhelming. My gratitude and affection for all of you are equally immense. First Parish deserves a minister who is capable of caring for all of its members, and not one who needs to be cared for himself.

The first week in March may seem like an unusual time to make this kind of announcement, but it was felt that in the interest of transparency this news should be known before the start of our annual Stewardship campaign, so that individual church members might have the opportunity to talk about their feelings with their visiting Stewards. At the very least, it should give us ample opportunity to say our “farewells.” And may we all be blessed in whatever lies ahead.

Faithfully Yours,

The Rev. Dr. Tim W. Jensen,
Parish Minister



As you might imagine, this was a very difficult letter to write. The people of this congregation have been incredibly generous and supportive of me over the past twelve months, and I honestly felt that I owed them everything I had in my effort to recover my health and come back as the “first-string, starting minister” of this team. So when I learned that so many of my most important lay leaders (including both the current and the incoming Governing Board Presidents) felt just the opposite, and that it was time for me to move on so that they could begin to move forward again, it initially came as quite a surprise.

But as I’ve sat with this question over the past few weeks, and meditated in my own heart about what is best both for the church and for me, I’ve come to see the wisdom of this choice. I WISH that I didn’t have to write this letter, and that I was capable of coming back and doing my job the way I have always aspired to do it; I wish that I didn’t have cancer in the first place, and could still estimate my life span in decades rather than a few years more or less. But I am RESIGNED to the fact that this is all just wishful thinking, and that there is a very real danger (if it hasn’t happened already) of my becoming a burden to this congregation, rather than an active and creative leader and contributor.

And when all is said and done, it really is all about what is best for the church. Like all UU ministers, I serve at the pleasure of my people, who enjoy the privilege of calling (and dismissing) whoever they choose as one of the fundamental cornerstones of our congregational polity. The tricky part is discerning what is truly “best.” I’m still not absolutely certain about the best answer to that question myself, and probably never will be. But absolute certainty is another one of those elusive luxuries few of us truly enjoy in this lifetime anyway.

What I do know is that no matter what I personally decide to do next, I will be fine (or as fine as one can be with a terminal cancer diagnosis). What I worry about most is the fate of those sixty-some people who have, will, or were in the process of joining this church during my tenure here, and whose primary “connection” is still with me, and not necessarily with the congregation as a whole. It would be a terrible tragedy for everyone concerned: them, myself, and the congregation at First Parish, if these newcomers were to simply “drift away,” without enjoying all of the benefits that belonging to a faith community like this one can bring. Fortunately, we have an excellent Membership Coordinator at First Parish who truly understands the notion of “radical hospitality,’ and who will do everything in her power to help keep these “lost lambs” in the flock.

For my own part, I haven’t exactly decided yet what to do next, although my basic trajectory is pretty clear. Depending on my medical condition I may stay on here in on here in Portland for a little while, but cancer is expensive, and I really can’t afford to stay here over the long term (at least not “in the manner to which I have grown accustomed”) without the nominal stipend (and generous benefits package!) the church was providing for me. So I fully expect that well before the first winter snowfall I will be back on the West Coast: either with my father in Sacramento, or near my daughter (and new grandchild!) in Portland OR, or (although this is probably just more wishful thinking) by myself back at our family cottage on Camano Island, where my mother and her mother before her spent the last years of their lives surrounded by family and family friends whose friendships go back for generations.

And the truth is that I will probably try out all of these places -- spending the early part of this summer visiting my brother and friends here on the East Coast (and especially my many friends on Nantucket!), who I will no doubt see a lot less of once I move out West again. But by the middle of July I plan to be back in Portland, OR to be present for the birth of my first grandchild, while also spending some time in August (September, October...) at Juniper Beach. And then down to Sacramento for the winter, and more permanent, long-term accommodations.

But again, this all remains to be seen. The first step is simply to bring “healthy closure” to my ministry here, and to say farewell to all these fine people I have grown to love so much these past two years, and who have done so much to support me as I have battled with my illness.

16 comments:

Lilylou said...

Ah, Tim, what a hard thing to have to do. But what grace you have displayed in your letter and in your post. Clearly you are a big man in all the important ways. If you do return to Western Washington, be assured that you will have many colleagues here who will be very happy to spend time with you again.
Fondly,
Kit

James said...

You're a good man, Tim.

It is an honor to count you a colleague.

I wish every best in these next steps...

James

spiritualastronomer said...

Tim, what a difficult decision that must have been. And how beautifully you handled it. I'm sure there are many more chapters yet to be written.

My thoughts are with you,
Chris

Christine Robinson said...

What a brave and ministerial letter, Tim, and how hard it is to read.

I hope it brings a shower of caring church members to also do what is in the best interests of the church, hard though it may be.

Blessings, Christine

Anonymous said...

Tim

What an outstanding example you are establishing for dealing with what is certainly one of the most challenging things we have to deal with in life. Hopefully we can all learn from you as you continue to battle your disease and show us what faith can accomplish.
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, It is so sad to read your post - it seemed like you and First Parish were a perfect fit, and the future held great promise. The cancer attacked more than your body. I hope the transitions you go through in the coming months and years are less painful, and are taken with equal amounts of grace. Your sermon blogs will continue to minister to us, even if you are not in a pulpit. I will keep you in mind as I sail off the coast of Belize. Your friend, Carl (from Brownsville, TX)

Lisa said...

Tim:
You are the bravest man I know. I read your lastest blog entry and cried. I am wishing you all the best. And, I am hoping that you can kick this horrible disease in the butt.

Cancer research and treatment is amazing. And now that President Obama has lifted the ban on stem cell research and is willing to let the science community do their job, who knows what lies ahead for you?

I love you and will always carry a piece of you in my heart. Please post a photo of you holding your first grandchild. May you have many, many years with him or her.

Lisa

Zabeth69 said...

How wonderful that you have choices. It's hard to be dissuaded from one's original intentions, but life's choices can be great opportunities. I speak now as one approaching a great adventure that I might have dismissed when things were "more comfortable."
Beth M

Unknown said...

Ah, Tim: Yes, letting go is such a persistent, constant, consistent and necessary human task for all of us! And you, my friend, do it well; you do it so well.

While my heart aches for your necessary choice. I also hope for more times together in the NW--you have been missed a lot since you went East.

Cheerfully, ROK

Anonymous said...

"You are a bigger man than I am, Gunga Din"

The Eclectic Cleric said...

If memory serves (and we should probably just look it up), the line was "you're a greater man than I am, Gunga Din." But I suspect in my case, "bigger" is perfectly appropriate as well...

Anonymous said...

After looking it up....it's "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din" Still appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Tim, my heart breaks for you -- and I'm filled with admiration for the way you have continued ministering in the midst of an extraordinary personal challenge. May blessings follow you always, even in dark places.

Anonymous said...

Tim, in your early summer swing around New England, how about a potluck dinner in Union Hall at FRS? Let me know when you will be coming this way. I'm going to GA this year and back afterward, so before or after the week of June 22is best.

Unknown said...

Tim,
I turned to your blog tonight for the first time in awhile to catch up. You've obviously had to make difficult decisions; I know you've done it with courage and integrity! We hope to be in Seattle next Christmas. Keep posted as to where you are. If we make it and you're in the area I will come to visit.

Claire

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim
Love is all around you! God, Family and Friends. We are all strengthend by your courage and love. We will miss you. I wish it didn't have to be so, but you will lead the way wherever you go.